We’ve all but wrapped up this Cabin in the Woods series, but I wanted to leave you with one last takeaway from the 2013 Middle School Summit. At the very end of our time together, the nine of us spent some time answering the question “What are the best books you’ve read this year?”
Some of our suggestions are about ministry. A ton are about leadership. Some stretched our brains. And some were just good for our hearts.
Here’s the list of our favorites…
- Dan B. Allender | LEADING WITH A LIMP: Take Full Advantage of Your Most Powerful Weakness
- Brian Berry | AS FOR ME AND MY [CRAZY] HOUSE: Learning to Protect Your Heart, Marriage, and Family From the Demands of Youth Ministry
- Brian Berry | CRITICISM BITES: Dealing With, Responding To, and Learning From Your Critics
- Mike Bonem | LEADING FROM THE SECOND CHAIR: Serving Your Church, Fulfilling Your Role, and Realizing Your Dreams
- Henry Cloud | INTEGRITY: The Courage to Meet the Demands of Reality
- Jim Collins | GREAT BY CHOICE: Uncertainty, Chaos, and Luck–Why Some Thrive Despite Them All
- Stephen R. Covey | THE SPEED OF TRUST: The One Thing That Changes Everything
- Kena Creasy Dean & Ron Foster | THE GOD BEARING LIFE: The Art of Soul Tending for Youth Ministry
- Charles Duhigg | THE POWER OF HABIT: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business
- Bob Goff | LOVE DOES: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World
- Craig Groeschel | THE CHRISTIAN ATHEIST: Believing in God but Living As If He Doesn’t Exist
- Craig Groeschel | SOUL DETOX: Clean Living in a Contaminated World
- Reggie Joiner & Tom Shefchunas | LEAD SMALL
- Austin Kleon | STEAL LIKE AN ARTIST: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative
- James M. Kouzes & Barry Z. Posner | CREDIBILITY: How Leaders Gain and Lose It, Why People Demand It
- James M. Kouzes & Barry Z. Posner | THE TRUTH ABOUT LEADERSHIP: The No-fads, Heart-of-the-Matter Facts You Need to Know
- Lois Mowday | THE SNARE
I. Love. This. List.
I’m a huge nerd for all kinds of books, but there are some seriously good reads here.
I’ll personally vouch for the awesomeness of Integrity (Cloud), Love Does (Goff), and Lead Small (Joiner & Shefchunas). If you haven’t read those guys already, you need to. Now.
I’ve added a bunch of these recommendations from my new friends to my to-read list. I think I might start with Steal Like an Artist (Kleon)… or Credibility (Kouzes & Posner). I haven’t decided yet. Too many good ones to choose from.
Have you read any of these books? Any recommendations you’d like to second?